
So I was watching my recently purchased Planet Earth Blu Ray series, and a surprising fact actually came up..

During the mountain segment, the video started explaining the lives on the mountainsides near Canada. And then a whole 10 minutes was spent on the lives of leopards. As far as endangered species go, I was unaware that there are a mere 30 leopards left in the world. Actually, the movie said 40, and a website had actually said there was only 30 left.
More after the jump.
"The Amur leopard (Panthera pardus orientalis), is listed as Critically Endangered on the IUCN Red List. There are currently estimated to be between 25 -- 34 Amur leopards left in the wild, distributed in south-west Primorskii Krai, between Vladivostok and the Sino-Russian border. Male leopards can weigh up to 50kg, females as little as 35kg, and they are carnivorous, feeding mainly on deer. The leopard inhabits mixed forest environments and has long fur to help it withstand the freezing weather."
It's shocking how the world loves the thrill of finding an endangered animal and having the guts to shoot it, just for the "pride."
Personally, I believe these cats are great animals and just to see it on the verge of extinction truly disgusts me. I know a majority of readers here are hard pressed with money, but I have found a site where you can actually support them, if you have leeway with money. I think it's time that we just start realizing the problem of all the dying species. Thanks guys.
Snow Leopard Support
0 comments:
Post a Comment